Friday, November 30, 2007

First Memory of Significance

Well this isn't the first time I've had to do an assignment over a memory of some sort. But my very first memory? That would have to be when I was in preschool. It was Halloween, and everyone was dressed up as something, including my teacher, who was dressed as a giant crayon. I got mad at her for some reason, probably because of her terrible fashion sense, and ended up kicking her in the shin, which resulted in a send-home. But what may I ask is the point of writing about something as insignificant as that? I will thus choose to elaborate on my first memory of significance, in which I can clearly recall a wealth of feelings and information.

It was that ever fateful time of year again, and my parents had long since racked their brains in disgust as to what to get me this year. After a long, heralding search to find the one gift that would provide me with lasting happiness, they finally settled on getting me a Super Nintendo Entertainment System. They must have noticed me during all those visits to the mall. I always ventured to the video game section of the mall. There was a nintendo there encased in glass and hooked up to the television, in which another older recipient was always playing. I dared not ask for a turn. I instead watched idly in the corner, fascinated by this completely user-dominated domain. It was like TV, but better. I wanted one very badly, but never bothered to ask. In the days leading up to the 25th, I never could have anticipated the degree of happiness I would be in, nor was I able to perceive the beginning of something that would alter my life and interests in such a drastic way. In truth, I had been expecting the same mundane presents that I received every year. I figured they'd probably give me a new batch of action figures that would amount to little more than temporary indulgences ultimately to be cast alongside the rest of my long-forgotten toys. Or perhaps they would surprise me with an elliptical rather than rounded electric train set. Oh, the possibilities! Even though I was in a pessimistic state of mind, I continued to wonder if perhaps this year would be different. I recall how time would slow to a creeping dredge during the final few days, and how this dredge would crawl exponentially slower as the hour of Christmas drew nearer. The night before Christmas was all but unbearable. The anxiety was typical of a child. I knew that I had to be asleep when Santa came, otherwise he would shy away or something and skip my house. This state of mind always left me awake and bedridden for a large portion of the night, until I finally managed to doze off at around 12. When I woke up, I was greeted by an optimistic ray of sunshine, perhaps a ray of hope. It was snowing outside, too, another plus. I figured this year would therefore be special. I ran downstairs ridden with this very newfound optimism, and proceeded to stick to my tradition of opening the biggest present first. Silent anticipation was for the weak. I tore open the wrapping, and at this point I clearly remember being in a state of elation. The most amazing part though wasn't the gift itself. It was the fact that my parents had taken the effort to be observant enough of my wishes and disires. It's the sign and quality of a true parent.

No comments: