Friday, November 30, 2007

Video games

Video games have been a staple of my life since childhood. And for good reason! All you snot-nosed moms and dads can look me in the eyes all you want when I say that video games are good for your kid. Let me them stay inside if they want to, by god. They inspire many positive things in a growing mind; increased motor skills, learning, and social interaction, to name a few. Who knew that improving your pac man chops could be fun and give you an edge on reflexes? As for the educational aspect, yes, there are many real-world things I have learned in games, such as the names of people and places, and the meaning of new words and phrases. I never again wanna hear a person say that video games rot your brain, unless you're talking about a bad video game, in which case I would say yes, avoid it like the plague. And what a great benefactor it is from a social perspective! I guarantee that interacting with others through a video game is much more socially stimulating than say, playing catch and staring idly at the trajectory of the ball's sullen path. So yeah, fuck sports, fuck fresh air, video games kick ass, so everybody go home and head for the great indoors. Video games are not only great from a technical perspective either. A good game, as nerdy as it sounds, represents for me true art, but a term so vague as that doesn't do it justice. It is a proper synthesis of all the aural and visual arts, in a similar manner as to how Wagner went about describing his operas (as an artistic synthesis). But being that the recipient of a video game is also a simultaneous participant, I feel that video games are a step above even the grandness of operas, which I personally loath. On a slightly side note, I should like to comment on an inane subculture of preps and jocks that went to my high school. Whenever we would get laptops, they would immediately put all their work on halt and start playing super nintendo games through emulator. An entire repertory of games, and they never once expanded their horizons past Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country. What a disgrace. But that isn't the worst part. The worst thing they did was abuse one of the emulator's key features; the save state command, which allows the user to press a button and save the game's progress at that exact fixture in time. It's a great feature for me when I otherwise can't save the game and I have to go soon, but what these faggots did was save the state literally every 10 seconds, so as to take away the thrill of being in the moment and desperately trying to stay alive entirely. Boss fights are so much insanely cooler when you're under pressure of getting a game over if you die, and being forced to start back at the beginning if you die.

No comments: